What is the Interior Design Diploma?
The nationally accredited MSF50218 Diploma of Interior Design is the course if you are wanting to work as a residential and commercial interior designer. iscd’s Diploma of Interior Design is recognised by the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) as a quality Interior Design course.
The diploma will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work as an Interior Designer for a firm or establish your own design business. Our Diploma of Interior Design ensures you graduate with computer skills in Photoshop, InDesign and CAD along with hand drafting technical skills which you will combine with your creative concepts and design understanding to develop & create your clients their ideal space. Throughout your diploma program you will have industry excursions and incursions to gain opportunities to network for when you graduate the MSF50218 Diploma of Interior Design. We are also here to help with the opportunities on our job board.
Become an Interior Designer by completing the 27 Units of Competencies that make up the MSF50218 Diploma of Interior Design. At iscd, the Diploma is completed over 2 years full time 20+ hours a week.
*The Diploma of Interior Design is delivered on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) ABN 35 094 133 641; RTO 90511; CRICOS 02155J
To read more on AIT click here.
You can choose to make an upfront payment for your course or gap fee taken at time of enrolment.
You can choose to pay your course fees or gap payments via instalment plans. All instalment plans are managed by a third party. All thirds party details can be found on the enrolment form terms and conditions. AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511
Become A Qualified Interior Designer
Finish your interiors diploma program by gaining practical and technical skills to thrive as an accredited Interior Designer. What you’ll learn:
- Technical skills in Photoshop, InDesign and AutoCAD to present design solutions
- To understand the hard construction and architectural materials and techniques used in the built-environment,
- To identify design and architectural historical influences and how they shape contemporary and sustainable design
- How to source, research and reference industry contacts and suppliers
After the completion of the Diploma of Interior Design, many graduates secure industry positions or establish their own freelance business in Interior Design. Residential Interior Designer Commercial Interior Designer Soft Furnishing Consultant (working for the likes of a fabric company) Visual Merchandiser Interior Decorator Interior Stylist You can keep up to date with current jobs that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts to create decorating solutions for interior spaces including materials and finishes, furniture layouts and materials boards for client presentations
- An understanding of client analysis and expectations for design projects including project coordination, fees and scheduling
- An extensive knowledge of colour theory and its application to design including interior scheming, finishes and the effects of lighting in interiors
- In-depth knowledge of soft furnishings, furniture and spatial design
- The ability to confidently source and style furniture and accessories in response to a client brief
- The ability to produce architectural drawings including perspective drawings, drafting and rendering and AutoCAD to communicate concepts
- Examine two and three-dimensional spatial planning
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built environments
- Design process for 2D and 3D forms
- Colour theory and application to design
- Extended research of colour, finishes and the effects of lighting
- Conceptualisation and the phases of the design process
- Soft Furnishings and their application in an interior space including suppliers, trades and specifications.
- Styling, providing interior styling services and researching and recommending furniture and accessories.
- Presentation of sample boards and specifications for clients
- Developing your design identity and setting up your business
- Drawing and documentation of design concepts and ideas.
- Illustration techniques and applications for any type of illustrative work relevant to a design brief using Photoshop and inDesign
- Technical skills required to operate a range of computer aided drawings (CAD)
- Architectural styles and movements + their influence in interior design and decoration projects
- Sustainability in design and reducing the negative environmental impacts of work practice.
- Understand the hard materials used in interior design and decoration
DESIGN AND COLOUR
- BSBDES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- BSBDES301 Explore the use of colour
- CUAACD303 Produce technical drawings
- CUAACD301 Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- BSBDES305 Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- BSBCRT402 Collaborate in a creative process
- BSBDES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
DESIGN INDUSTRY PRACTICE
- BSBDES304 Source and apply design industry knowledge
- CUAILL501 Develop professional illustrations
- MSFID4016 Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
- MSFID5027 Research and recommend colour application and finishes
- MSFID4021 Design soft furnishing solutions for interior spaces
- MSFID4017 Research and recommend furniture and accessories
- MSFID5018 Provide interior styling service
- MSFID4014 Produce digital models and documentation for interior design projects
KITCHENS & BATHROOMS / HARD MATERIALS
- MSFID4018 Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
- MSFID4015 Prepare materials and finishes boards for client presentation
- MSFID4012 Decorate residential interiors
- MSFID4013 Design residential interior lightning
- MSFID5019 Decorate interiors for restoration projects
- MSFID5024 Design workplace interiors
- BSBDES401 Generate design solutions
- BSBDES502 Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- MSFID5022 Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- MSFID5020 Design residential interiors
- MSFID5021 Evaluate site structure and services for interior design briefs
- MSFID5025 Develop residential interior design project documentation
*Units of competency subject to change.
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include a major residential design project:
- Design and decorate an entry space
- Understand and present design movements
- Create a colour scheme for a boutique hotel
- Create a soft furnishings scheme considering floor, wall and window treatments
- Develop your designer identity and business paperwork
- Decorate a residential space
- Learn how to create a drawing package with AutoCAD
- Learn Photoshop skills to professionally render drawings in a digital format
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
You can complete your Diploma online from the comfort of your own home.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
"iscd taught me not only the fundamentals of design, colour, styling, sourcing and presenting but the equally important nuts and bolts of how to set myself up with a workable business."
ALIX HELPS,iscd Graduate