What is the Interior Design Diploma?
The nationally accredited MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design a is the course if you are wanting to work as a residential and commercial interior designer. iscd’s Diploma of Interior Design is recognised by the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) as a quality Interior Design course.
The diploma will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work as an Interior Designer for a firm or establish your own design business. Our Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration ensures you graduate with computer skills in Photoshop, InDesign and CAD along with hand drafting technical skills which you will combine with your creative concepts and design understanding to develop & create your clients their ideal space. Throughout your diploma program you will have industry excursions and incursions to gain opportunities to network for when you graduate the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration. We are also here to help with the opportunities on our job board.
Become an Interior Designer by completing the 29 Units of Competencies that make up the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration. At iscd, the Diploma is completed over 1 year full time 20+ hours a week.
A new release of the Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration MSF50113 comes into effect from 6th December 2018. The course is deemed not equivalent to the Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration MSF50213 by the regulatory authorities. We will advise you by email if this has any impact upon your current studies once a full assessment has been made. Please visit training.gov.au for further information or contact us if you have any questions.
*The Diploma of Interior Design is delivered on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) ABN 35 094 133 641; RTO 90511; CRICOS 02155J
To read more on AIT click here.
You can choose to make an upfront payment for your course or gap fee taken at time of enrolment.
You can choose to pay your course fees or gap payments via instalment plans. All instalment plans are managed by a third party. All thirds party details can be found on the enrolment form terms and conditions. AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511
Study in Sydney or Melbourne, or Online.
Finish your interiors diploma program by gaining practical and technical skills to thrive as an accredited Interior Designer. What you’ll learn:
- Technical skills in Photoshop, InDesign and AutoCAD to present design solutions
- To understand the hard construction and architectural materials and techniques used in the built-environment,
- To identify design and architectural historical influences and how they shape contemporary and sustainable design
- How to source, research and reference industry contacts and suppliers
After the completion of the Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration, many graduates secure industry positions or establish their own freelance business in Interior Design. Residential Interior Designer Commercial Interior Designer Soft Furnishing Consultant (working for the likes of a fabric company) Visual Merchandiser Interior Decorator Interior Stylist You can keep up to date with current jobs that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts to create decorating solutions for interior spaces including materials and finishes, furniture layouts and materials boards for client presentations
- An understanding of client analysis and expectations for design projects including project coordination, fees and scheduling
- An extensive knowledge of colour theory and its application to design including interior scheming, finishes and the effects of lighting in interiors
- In-depth knowledge of soft furnishings, furniture and spatial design
- The ability to confidently source and style furniture and accessories in response to a client brief
- The ability to produce architectural drawings including perspective drawings, drafting and rendering and AutoCAD to communicate concepts
- Examine two and three-dimensional spatial planning
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built environments
- Design process for 2D and 3D forms
- Colour theory and application to design
- Extended research of colour, finishes and the effects of lighting
- Conceptualisation and the phases of the design process
- Soft Furnishings and their application in an interior space including suppliers, trades and specifications.
- Styling, providing interior styling services and researching and recommending furniture and accessories.
- Presentation of sample boards and specifications for clients
- Developing your design identity and setting up your business
- Drawing and documentation of design concepts and ideas.
- Illustration techniques and applications for any type of illustrative work relevant to a design brief using Photoshop and inDesign
- Technical skills required to operate a range of computer aided drawings (CAD)
- Architectural styles and movements + their influence in interior design and decoration projects
- Sustainability in design and reducing the negative environmental impacts of work practice.
- Understand the hard materials used in interior design and decoration
- BSBDES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- CUAILL401 Develop and refine illustrative work
- BSBDES401 Generate design solutions
- BSBDES301 Explore the use of colour
- CUAACD401 Integrate colour theory and design processes
- BSBCRT402 Collaborate in a creative process
- BSBDES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- BSBDES305 Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- MSMENV272 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
DRAWING + DOCUMENTATION
- CUAACD303 Produce technical drawings
- CUAACD301 Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- MSFID4001 Research, analyse and apply colour for interior spaces
- MSFID5009 Research and recommend colour and applied finishes
- MSFID4003 Prepare a materials board for client presentation
- MSFID4005 Research and recommend soft furnishings for interiors
DESIGN INDUSTRY PRACTICE
- MSFID4011 Determine work, health and safety (WHS) implications of interior effects
- BSBDES304 Source and apply design industry knowledge
- MSFID4004 Research and recommend furniture and accessories
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS 1
- MSFID4002 Decorate residential interiors
- CUAACD302 Produce computer-aided drawings
- CUAILL501 Develop professional illustrations
- MSFID5015 Decorate interiors for restoration projects
HARD MATERIALS + CONSTRUCTION
- MSFID5004 Specify structural elements, systems and services for interior spaces
- MSFID5003 Evaluate site for interior design brief
- MSFID5013 Design for small to medium scale commercial or institutional interiors
- BSBDES502 Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS 2
- MSFID5001 Design residential interiors
- MSFID5005 Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- MSFID5010 Provide interior styling service
*Units of competency subject to change.
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include a major residential design project:
- Design and decorate an entry space
- Understand and present design movements
- Create a colour scheme for a boutique hotel
- Create a soft furnishings scheme considering floor, wall and window treatments
- Develop your designer identity and business paperwork
- Decorate a residential space
- Learn how to create a drawing package with AutoCAD
- Learn Photoshop skills to professionally render drawings in a digital format
High School Certificate or Vocational Certificate IV or higher delivered in English.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
Study at home with our online program or on campus in our March 2019 intake.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
"iscd taught me not only the fundamentals of design, colour, styling, sourcing and presenting but the equally important nuts and bolts of how to set myself up with a workable business."
ALIX HELPS,iscd Graduate