What is the Interior Design + Decoration Diploma?
The nationally accredited MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration is available to study part-time or full-time at inSTUDIO. The diploma will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work as an Interior Designer for a firm or establish your own design business.
The course is a balance of technical and conceptual skills to ensure you graduate with well-rounded knowledge to work in residential and commercial interior design
* The inSTUDIO MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is being delivered by iscd on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) as part of the RedHill Education Group
AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511 | iscd RTO: 91439
how can i become an interior designer?
Become an Interior Designer by completing the 29 Units of Competencies that make up the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration.
At inSTUDIO, you can complete the diploma full-time (1-year) or part-time (2-years). Prefer to study online? Study the Diploma of Interior Design anywhere, anytime with inSTUDIO Online
Throughout your diploma program you will have internship opportunities and when you graduate the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration, we are here to help with the opportunities on our job board
The Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to thrive in the design industry and build a successful career as an Interior Designer.
What you’ll learn:
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built-environments
- Produce complete drawing packages with drafting and rendering skills necessary to practice as an Interior Designer or Decorator confidently
- Explore colour theory and understand colour application in interior design
- Examine two and three-dimensional spatial planning
After the completion of the Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration, many graduates secure industry positions or establish their own freelance business in Interior Design.
- Residential Designer
- Commercial Interior Designer
- Working with Interior Design firms or for your own business
- Be a member of the design industry
- Interior Stylist for magazines and photographers
- Event Stylist
You can keep up to date with current job that are available now in the design industry on our job board
- Identify design and architectural historical influences and inspiration, and consider how they reflect and motivate contemporary and sustainable design.
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built-environments, combined with the soft furnishings and styling elements that complete an interior design project.
- Produce complete drawing packages with computer-aided programs, and present all design solutions with both hand and digital rendering techniques including an introduction to PhotoShop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Execute residential and commercial interior design briefs that simulate actual design processes to produce a complete design package for your portfolio.
Sourcing, researching and referencing of industry contacts and suppliers
- Design process for 2D and 3D forms
- Colour theory and application to design
- Extended research of colour, finishes and the effects of lighting
- Conceptualisation and the phases of the design process
- Soft Furnishings and their application in an interior space including suppliers, trades and specifications.
- Styling, providing interior styling services and researching and recommending furniture and accessories.
- Presentation of sample boards and specifications for clients
- Developing your design identity and setting up your business • Drawing and documentation of design concepts and ideas.
- Illustration techniques and applications for any type of illustrative work relevant to a design brief using Photoshop and inDesign
- Technical skills required to operate a range of computer aided drawings (CAD)
- Architectural styles and movements + their influence in interior design and decoration projects
- Sustainability in design and reducing the negative environmental impacts of work practice.
- Understand the hard materials used in interior design and decoration
- Design solutions for small commercial interior design projects
- BSBDES302A Explore the creative design process to 2D forms
- BSBCRT501A Develop and extend critical and creative thinking skills
- BSBDES401A Generate design solutions
- BSBDES303A Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- BSBDES301A Explore the use of colour
- BSBDES305A Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- MSFID4001 Research, analyse and apply colour for interior spaces
- MSFID5009 Research and recommend colour and applied finishes
- MSFID4005 Research and recommend soft furnishings for interiors
- MSFID4003 Prepare a materials board for client presentation
- MSFID5010 Provide interior styling service
- MSFID4004 Research and recommend furniture accessories
DESIGN INDUSTRY PRACTICE
- MSFID4011 Determine work, health and safety (WHS) implications or interior effects
- BSBDES304A Source and apply design industry knowledge
- BSBDES403A Develop and extend design skills and practice
DRAWING & DOCUMENTATION
- CUVACD303A Produce technical drawings
- CUVACD301A Produce drawings to communicate ideas
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS (1)
- SIRRMER512 Produce perspective drawings, plans and elevations
- MSFID4002 Decorate residential interiors
- CUVACD302A Produce computer-aided drawings
RENDERING & VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS
- CUVILL401A Research and apply techniques for illustrative work
- MSFID5003 Evaluate site for interior design brief
- MSFID5013 Design for small to medium space commercial or institutional interiors
HARD MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION
- MSFID4006 Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS (2)
- MSFID5002 Develop a decoration proposal for a complex site
- MSFID5005 Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- BSBDES502A Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- MSFID4009 Research architectural styles and movements
- MSAENV272B Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include a major residential design project.
- Successful completion of senior high school equivalent to Year 12 level of education in Australia.
- Students without a Year 12 equivalent may enter with the completion of a Certificate II or above
- IELTS 5.5 or equivalent – inSTUDIO offers package courses with Greenwich English College
Domestic + International Applicants
- Students will have an interview in person or via Skype
- Applicants under the age of 18 must have a guardian sign all admission agreements. To learn how to begin the application process
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
We cater for your needs and lifestyle with campuses located in Sydney and Melbourne plus Online learning.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- SCentre (Westfield)
- Emine Mehmet
- Belle Magazine
- Sydney Living Museum
- Cult Design
- Commercial Retail Design and
internship opportunity with
SCentre Westfield design team
- Residential Interior Design
- Sustainability Research
- History + Architectural Design
- Furniture Design
- Interior Designer – Graduate of the Year
- Interior Colour Palette – Residential
Are you an International Student?
If you live outside Australia (or already carry an Australian Student Visa) you can complete the Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration in less than a year! LEARN MORE
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
iscd General Manager,Lucy Sutherland
Don't live in Sydney or Melbourne? You can your diploma with inSTUDIO Online
It’s never been easier to study Interior Design online at inSTUDIO Online, a new campus at iscd.
At inSTUDIO Online we are passionate about design and dedicated to providing a learning experience that gives you all the knowledge and skills to realise your creative potential in a nurturing environment, with the flexibility to fit your studies in around your lifestyle.