What is Surface Design?
Surface Design is a form of commercial illustration. Put simply it is about learning how to create designs and then put them into technical repeat. The Surface Design Diploma teaches you how to create designs that are suitable for a wide variety of applications including homewares, textiles, paper products, fabrics and many other surfaces. It is a great skill for illustrators, graphic designers, or anyone looking to create their own range or range of products.
We do offer promotions throughout the year. Click here to learn more about actual offers.
How can I become a Surface Designer?
The first part of your Diploma of Surface Design consists of the Certificate IV in Design (CUA40715). This teaches you the foundation skills needed to understand the elements and principles of colour and design. Then, the Diploma steps you through the specialised skills needed to be a successful Surface Designer.
From just one-day per week you can become a qualified Surface Designer
Our Surface Design Diploma is the perfect balance between creativity and technical computer skills.
What you’ll learn
- Colour and design knowledge for swimwear, wallpaper, gifts and soft furnishings
- The technical requirements of being a Surface Designer with Adobe Illustrator,
- Hand drawing skills and learn to work with a variety of mixed media
- To present designs and concepts at a professional for clients and employers
- Create mood boards to develop design themes and colour palettes for you and your client
- To recognise trends and how to apply these trends
After the Surface Design Diploma, many graduates secure positions in:
- Setting up your own freelance Surface Design business
- Working in a design studio
- Designing, manufacturing and selling your own product range
You can keep up to date with current jobs that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
- To extend and apply your colour and design skills to a fascinating array of projects from swimwear to wallpaper; giftware to soft furnishings.
- Computer skills using Adobe Illustrator, which will give you exposure to industry’s technical requirements, however hand drawn designs are also seen as an important feature of your skills and portfolio
- You will learn how to meet professional standards for presentation of concepts and will produce a quality portfolio of work to equip you to present to potential clients and employers
- How to create style and mood boards which form the basis of learning how to research and create design themes, innovative solutions and colour palettes for yourself and your clients.
- Style, trend interpretation and application, and an thorough understanding of the design profession
- Designing to Brief
- Mixed Media and Printing
- Hand drawing techniques & mark making
- Computer Generated Design
- Running a creative business
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include;
- Bed Linen Design
- Outdoor fabrics
CUA40715 Certificate IV in Design is the first step in this diploma before specialising. You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in the forms of credits or a course waiver if you have like-for-like Units of Competency, skills and knowledge if you have already studied this either with iscd or at another college.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- Emily Ziz Style Studio
- Sheridan Bed Linen
- Porters Paints
- Charles Parsons
- Tea Towel Design
- Bed Linen Design
- Wallpaper Design
- Surface Designer – Graduate of the Year
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
WENDY GREENHALF,General Manager iscd
Short Courses & Workshops
We have a number of workshops and short courses that run throughout the year. Here are some courses and workshops that relate to this course.
Upskill your current qualifications
Already qualified in most of these course subjects? You might like to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning and expand your current skill set with one of our specialised diplomas.