What is Surface Design?
Surface Design is the skill of creating designs that are suitable for a wide variety of applications including homewares, textiles, paper products and fabrics. It is the ability to create designs and then put them into technical repeat.
Surface Design Diploma
The Surface Design Diploma teaches you how to create designs that are suitable for a wide variety of applications and surfaces. Like all of our courses, part 1 is to complete the Certificate IV in design online (CUA40715). This gives you the fundamentals of colour and design. Then Part 2 is to specialise with the Surface Design Diploma. Gaining valuable skills in creating original designs and technical repeat patterns. It is a great skill for illustrators, graphic designers, or anyone looking to create their own range or range of products.
Special Offer on select courses
We do offer promotions throughout the year. Click here to learn more about actual offers.
Take your first steps to a creative career with our new online courses.
- Simple interface with lots of visuals and videos.
- Great online community with lively, inspiring, discussion boards with educators + peers
- Academic calendar + simple assessment submission keeps all your information in one place to easily track your progress.
- Quick turnaround on assessment marking + regular contact with your educator.
- Pop up campuses throughout the year for you to connect to our community. Meet peers, educators + have one-on-one sessions.
- 12 hours / week and up to 12 months to complete (but you can go faster)
“I loved every minute of my time at iscd. I loved the variety of topics and tasks. I especially loved the inspiring and supportive teachers who always shared their industry based knowledge.” Shelly Acland
Our Surface Design Diploma is the perfect balance between creativity and technical computer skills.
What you’ll learn
- Colour and design knowledge for swimwear, wallpaper, gifts and soft furnishings
- The technical requirements of being a Surface Designer with Adobe Illustrator,
- Hand drawing skills and learn to work with a variety of mixed media
- To present designs and concepts at a professional for clients and employers
- Create mood boards to develop design themes and colour palettes for you and your client
- To recognise trends and how to apply these trends
After the Surface Design Diploma, many graduates go onto:
- Setting up your own freelance Surface Design business
- Working in a design studio
- Designing, manufacturing and selling your own product range
- To extend and apply your colour and design skills to a fascinating array of projects from swimwear to wallpaper; giftware to soft furnishings.
- Computer skills using Adobe Illustrator, which will give you exposure to industry’s technical requirements, however hand drawn designs are also seen as an important feature of your skills and portfolio
- You will learn how to meet professional standards for presentation of concepts and will produce a quality portfolio of work to equip you to present to potential clients and employers
- How to create style and mood boards which form the basis of learning how to research and create design themes, innovative solutions and colour palettes for yourself and your clients.
- Style, trend interpretation and application, and an thorough understanding of the design profession
- Designing to Brief
- Mixed Media and Printing
- Hand drawing techniques & mark making
- Computer Generated Design
- Running a creative business
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include:
- Bed Linen Design
- Outdoor fabrics
- CUA40715 Certificate IV in Design
You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in the forms of credits or a course waiver if you have like-for-like Units of Competency, skills and knowledge.
First Wednesday of every month
Approx. 10 hours per week | 1 year (includes assessments/homework)
Surface Design Diploma – Industry Recognised but not accredited.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus iscd is a creative and supportive environment.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations for working in the design industry.
- Emily Ziz Style Studio
- Sheridan Bed Linen
- Porters Paints
- Charles Parsons
- Tea Towel Design
- Bed Linen Design
- Wallpaper Design
- Surface Designer – Graduate of the Year