What is Surface Design?
Surface Design is a form of commercial illustration. Put simply it is about learning how to create designs and then put them into technical repeat. The Surface Design Diploma teaches you how to create designs that are suitable for a wide variety of applications including homewares, textiles, paper products, fabrics and many other surfaces. It is a great skill for illustrators, graphic designers, or anyone looking to create their own range or range of products.
Take your first steps to a creative career with our online courses.
- Simple interface with lots of visuals and videos.
- Great online community with lively, inspiring, discussion boards with educators + peers
- Academic calendar + simple assessment submission keeps all your information in one place to easily track your progress.
- Quick turnaround on assessment marking + regular contact with your educator.
- 6+ hours / week and up to 12 months to complete (but you can go faster)
“I loved every minute of my time at iscd. I loved the variety of topics and tasks. I especially loved the inspiring and supportive teachers who always shared their industry based knowledge.” Shelly Acland
Our Surface Design Diploma is the perfect balance between creativity and technical computer skills.
What you’ll learn
- Colour and design knowledge for swimwear, wallpaper, gifts and soft furnishings
- The technical requirements of being a Surface Designer with Adobe Illustrator,
- Hand drawing skills and learn to work with a variety of mixed media
- To present designs and concepts at a professional for clients and employers
- Create mood boards to develop design themes and colour palettes for you and your client
- To recognise trends and how to apply these trends
After the Surface Design Diploma, many graduates go onto:
- Setting up your own freelance Surface Design business
- Working in a design studio
- Designing, manufacturing and selling your own product range
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- Identify design movements and historical influences, applying design industry knowledge
- Start and complete design processes
- Explore colour theory in detail to understand colour application
- Gain a sound understanding of the elements and principles of design and the various composition techniques
- Colour and design skills are applied to an array of projects from swimwear to wallpaper, giftware to soft furnishings
- Adobe Illustrator + Photoshop skills, which will give you exposure to Industry’s technical requirements, and hand drawn designs which are also seen as an important feature of your skill set and portfolio
- You will learn how to meet professional standards for presentation of concepts and will produce a quality portfolio of work to equip you to present to potential clients and employers
- Create style and mood boards which form the basis of learning how to research and create design themes, innovative solutions and colour palettes for yourself and your clients
- Style, trend interpretation and application and a thorough understanding of the design process
- Designing to Brief
- Mixed Media and Printing
- Hand drawing techniques & mark making
- Computer Generated Design
- Running a creative business
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs. Some examples include:
- Colour wheel tool and grey scale
- Abstract and semi-abstract design, linear design techniques and applying colour
- Hand Rendering
- Design history research
- Tote bag design
- Bed linen design
- Cushion design
- Wallpaper design
- Outdoor fabrics range
- Swimwear range
- Tea towel design
- Creative identity brief
- Presentation techniques
Completed Australian Year 10 schooling or
Vocational Certificate III or higher (delivered in
You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in the forms of credits or a course waiver if you have like-for-like Units of Competency, skills and knowledge.
First Wednesday of every month
6 + hours per week | 12 months
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus iscd is a creative and supportive environment.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations for working in the design industry.