What is the Styling Diploma?
The Styling Diploma focuses on building the skill set needed to become an expert stylist. The course teaches you the ins-and-outs of the design industry ensuring you have the practical skills to work as a successful stylist. Taught by industry professionals who are there to guide you with real-life industry briefs and insider tips, you will be ready to practise as a stylist in many areas.
Explore how to create concepts, communicate and present your ideas and execute well resolved styling solutions for your clients. You will learn how to confidently style a retail store window, sets for magazine photo shoots, homes for sale and various events.
To celebrate the launch of our revised industry diploma’s we are currently offering $1,000 off course fee’s if you enrol for between April and July!
We do offer promotions throughout the year.
Click here to learn more.
Take your first steps to a creative career with our online courses.
- Simple interface with lots of visuals and videos.
- Great online community with lively, inspiring, discussion boards with educators + peers
- Academic calendar + simple assessment submission keeps all your information in one place to easily track your progress.
- Quick turnaround on assessment marking + regular contact with your educator.
- Pop up campuses throughout the year for you to connect to our community. Meet peers, educators + have one-on-one sessions.
“iscd has been the foundation of many facets of my career. From small beginnings many years ago, the iscd education team mentored many decisions to craft my future in the design industry.” Dani Butchart
The Styling Diploma is just one of iscd’s industry driven and recognised diplomas. You’ll gain the skills and knowledge required to work as a stylist for magazines, events and property styling or start your own styling business.
What You Will Learn
- Generate conceptual ideas and translate them into interior styling solutions.
- Understand client analysis and expectations for projects including documentation, fees, contracts and project co-ordination
- Soft furnishings, furniture and furniture arrangement including window treatments, fabrics, upholstery, accessories and artworks
- Sourcing, researching and referencing of industry contacts and suppliers
After completing the Styling Diploma, graduates go on to successful design careers in:
- Magazine Styling
- Real Estate Styling
- Residential Styling
- Event Styling
- Visual Merchandising
- Retail/Product Styling
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- Identify design movements and historical influences, applying design industry knowledge
- Start and complete design processes
- Explore colour theory in detail to understand colour application
- Gain a sound understanding of the elements and principles of design and the various composition techniques
- Generate conceptual ideas and translate them into styling solutions
- Understand client analysis and expectations for projects including documentation, fees, contracts and project coordination
- Researching and referencing of industry contacts and suppliers
- Furniture arrangement including window treatments, fabrics, upholstery, accessories and artworks
- Spatial Planning
- Soft Furnishings
- Visual Merchandising
- Styling for Photography
- Residential Interior Styling
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs. Some examples include:
- Colour wheel tool and grey scale
- Abstract and semi-abstract design, linear design techniques and applying colour
- Hand Rendering
- Design history research
- Photographic styling
- Property styling
- Visual merchandising
- Magazine styling
- Creative identity
- Presentation techniques
Completed Australian Year 10 schooling or
Vocational Certificate III or higher (delivered in
You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in the forms of credits or a course waiver if you have like-for-like Units of Competency, skills and knowledge.
First Wednesday of every month
6 + hours per week | 12 months (includes assessments/homework)
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry