What is Colour Design?
Colour Design is about gaining knowledge and skill in understanding the psychology of colour and the application of colour to numerous environments. From residential or commercial design projects, to colour development for product ranges, to product packaging, corporate marketing and branding.
Colour Design Diploma
Like all of our courses, part 1 is to complete the Certificate IV in Design online (CUA40715). This gives you the fundamentals of colour and design. Then Part 2 is to specialise with the Colour Design Diploma. Building on this foundation, develop extensive knowledge and skills in applying colour to real industry briefs.
Special Summer Sale Offer
Save up to $1000 on select courses
We do offer promotions throughout the year. Click here to learn more about actual offers.
Take your first steps to a creative career with our new online courses.
- Simple interface with lots of visuals and videos.
- Great online community with lively, inspiring, discussion boards with educators + peers
- Academic calendar + simple assessment submission keeps all your information in one place to easily track your progress.
- Quick turnaround on assessment marking + regular contact with your educator.
- Pop up campuses throughout the year for you to connect to our community. Meet peers, educators + have one-on-one sessions.
- 12 hours / week and up to 12 months to complete (but you can go faster)
“I always knew that colour inspired me the most. I knew I needed to study and further my passion. I put in a lot of work into looking at the different colleges and iscd was way out in front of everyone else.” Nadine Donavan
Our Colour Design Diploma is a step-up on the colour principles gained from your Certificate IV in Design. Instead of gouache painted chips, you will work with commercial colour fan decks and professional colour reference books.
What You Will Learn
- Apply colour to interiors and exteriors in the built environment
- Use colour to assist in the branding and image development of a business or product
- Create professionally presented colour design solutions incorporating painted finishes, interior and exterior environments
- Interpret and respond to client briefs
- Analyse trends including what influences a trend
After completing the Colour Design Diploma graduates go on to successful design careers in:
- Consultant for corporate marketing and branding
- Work for residential, property developers and large-scale commercial clients as a specialist Colour Designer
- Establish your own Colour Design consultancy business
How to apply colour to interiors and exteriors in the built environment
- How to effectively use colour to assist in the branding and image development of a business or product.
- How to create professionally presented colour design solutions incorporating painted finishes, interior and exterior environments
- How to understand and work with your client through client analysis by responding to briefs
- How to interpret and respond to industry design briefs
- Learn to analyse trends including what influences a trend
- How to use trend colours whilst learning how to identify a style in comparison to a trend.
- Interior Colour Application
- Colour Psychology, Association + Symbolism
- Paint Systems and Finishes
- Colour Styles and Trends
- Exterior Colour Application
- Colour for Marketing
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include:
- Colour for commercial and residential projects
- Interior + Exterior Colour schemes
- Business practice + Designer identity
- Colour for products and branding
- CUA40715 Certificate IV in Design
You can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in the forms of credits or a course waiver if you have like-for-like Units of Competency, skills and knowledge.
First Wednesday of every month
Approx. 10 hours per week | 1 year (includes assessments/homework)
Colour Design Diploma – Industry Recognised but not accredited.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- Trend Forecasting Agency
- The Colour Society
- Trend Forecasting Colour Palette
- Commercial Colour Palette Design
- Boutique Hotel Concept Award
- Exterior Residential Colour Palette