What is Colour Design?
Colour Design is about gaining knowledge and skill in understanding the psychology of colour and the application of colour to numerous environments. From residential or commercial design projects, to colour development for product ranges, to product packaging, corporate marketing and branding.
The Diploma of Colour Design
Like all of our courses, part 1 is to complete the Certificate IV in design online (CUA40715). This gives you the fundamentals of colour and design. Then Part 2 is to specialise with the Diploma of Colour Design. Building on this foundation, develop extensive knowledge and skills in applying colour to real industry briefs.
Take your first steps to a creative career with our new online courses.
- Simple interface with lots of visuals and videos.
- Great online community with lively, inspiring, discussion boards with educators + peers
- Academic calendar + simple assessment submission keeps all your information in one place to easily track your progress.
- Quick turnaround on assessment marking + regular contact with your educator.
- Pop up campuses throughout the year for you to connect to our community. Meet peers, educators + have one-on-one sessions.
- 12 hours / week and up to 12 months to complete (but you can go faster)
“I always knew that colour inspired me the most. I knew I needed to study and further my passion. I put in a lot of work into looking at the different colleges and iscd was way out in front of everyone else.” Nadine Donavan
Our Colour Design Diploma is a step-up on the colour principles gained from your Certificate IV in Design . Instead of gouache painted chips, you will work with commercial colour fan decks and professional colour reference books.
What You Will Learn
- Apply colour to interiors and exteriors in the built environment
- Use colour to assist in the branding and image development of a business or product
- Create professionally presented colour design solutions incorporating painted finishes, interior and exterior environments
- Interpret and respond to client briefs
- Analyse trends including what influences a trend
After the Colour Design Diploma, many graduates secure positions in the following fields;
- Colour Designer / Consultation for interiors and on corporate branding and products
- Work for residential, property developers and large-scale commercial clients
- Become a member of the design industry
- Establish your own Colour Design business
How to apply colour to interiors and exteriors in the built environment
- How to effectively use colour to assist in the branding and image development of a business or product.
- How to create professionally presented colour design solutions incorporating painted finishes, interior and exterior environments
- How to understand and work with your client through client analysis by responding to briefs
- How to interpret and respond to industry design briefs
- Learn to analyse trends including what influences a trend
- How to use trend colours whilst learning how to identify a style in comparison to a trend.
The role of a Colour Designer
- Application of colour theory to design practices
- Client analysis and colour scheme development
- How to respond to an interior client brief
- Colour psychology and mastering colour moods
- Paint systems and applying interior finishes
- Understanding styles and trends
- Historical and cultural styles
- Business development and fees
- Colour design for exteriors including exterior architectural features
- Exterior colour scheme development
- Consulting for commercial properties
- Colour theory and marketing
- Colour design for business imaging
- Marketing and managing the creative business
- Business imaging palette development
- Effective presentation skills
- How to respond to a franchise brief
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include;
- Residential Interior + Exterior
- Colour Trend Forecasting
- Commercial Colour Palette
- Business Branding
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- Porters Paints
- The Colour Society
- Trend Forecasting Colour Palette
- Commercial Colour Palette Design
- Boutique Hotel Concept Award
- Exterior Residential Colour Palette