What is the Certificate IV in Design?
Focusing on the foundation skills in design you will learn design techniques, colour application and the ability to create clever and inspiring designs by applying the creative process.
You will graduate with a comprehensive design portfolio and the essential knowledge to continue your studies in your chosen specialised area of design.
This nationally recognised qualification is our most popular course and your first step towards a specialised iscd Diploma.
Why study Certificate IV in Design?
With this detailed and thorough foundation course in colour and design you’ll learn the elements and principles of design and their application in the contemporary design world. It is a hands-on and creative course.
At iscd, the Certificate IV in Design is the prerequisite course to our specialised Diploma courses:
- Styling Diploma
- Surface Design Diploma
- Colour Design Diploma or
- Graphic Design Diploma
Throughout your Certificate program you will work on real-world briefs from our design industry partners, including Designer Rugs who have partnered with us for over 15 years.
You can study the Certificate IV in Design from just 1 day per week on campus or with our distance education program from the comfort of your own home. If you’re working full time, our night or weekend classes are available. Or if you’re juggling a busy home-life or working part time our mid-week study options are for you.
Our Certificate IV in Design is the prerequisite course to iscd’s specialised Diplomas.
You’ll graduate with a holistic understanding of the design industry and a skill set that can be applied to all areas of design.
What you’ll learn:
- How to develop colour palettes and apply colour principles
- How to develop your illustration/drawing techniques to represent concepts across all design disciplines
- How to interpret and respond to industry design briefs
- How to professionally present a major project in spatial and product design
After you complete the Certificate IV in Design you’ll be able to secure an industry position through internships and support roles in;
- Property Staging
- Visual Merchandising for retail
- Surface Design
- Colour Design
- Interior Styling for photographers and events
You can keep up to date with current job that are available now in the design industry on our job board
- How to apply colour principles and theory in response to a design brief
- How to produce drawings to represent and communicate concepts
- How to interpret and respond to a design brief
- How to effectively apply the design process to 2D and 3D work
- The ability to source and apply design industry knowledge
- How to create concepts and conduct critical discussions
- How to research and apply techniques for graphic design
- How to professionally present a major project in spatial design and product design
- How to document the design work process and manage your own work
- How to apply skills and knowledge to sample projects from our four Diplomas
- Introduction to colour theory
- Introduction to the elements and principles of design
- Conceptualisation and the design process
- Composition and basic order of design
- Developing monochromatic colour schemes
- Abstract and semi abstract design
- Development of colour schemes
- Drawing inspiration from the natural environment
- Exploring texture
- Chroma reduction
- Tertiary colour applied to a design
- 2D and 3D design
- Colour inversion
- Colour effects, colour psychology and symbolism
- Introduction to graphic design
- CUAPRP401 Realise a creative project
- BSBDES305 Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- BSBDES402 Interpret and respond to a design brief
- BSBWHS201 Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- BSBCRT301 Develop and extend critical and creative thinking skills
- BSBDES401 Generate design solutions
- CUAACD401 Integrate colour theory and design processes
- BSBDES301 Explore the use of colour
- BSBDES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- BSBDES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- BSBDES304 Source and apply design industry knowledge
- BSBDES403 Develop and extend design skills and practice
- CUAGRD302 Use typography techniques
- CUAGRD401 Research and apply graphic design techniques
- CUADES402 Research and apply techniques in product design
- Assessment 1a: Colour Wheel Tool
- Assessment 1b: Grey Scale Tool
- Assessment 2: Conceptualisation and Mind Mapping
- Assessment 3a: Abstract and Semi-Abstract Design: Linear Design Teachniques; 3 x abstract; 3 x semi-abstract
- Assessment 3b: Abstract and Semi-Abstract Design: Applying Related & Contrasting Colour Schemes
- Assessment 4: Design History Research
- Assessment 5a: Illustration: Research 3 x tradtional and 3 x contemporary illustrators
- Assessment 5b: Create a contemporary illustration
- Assessment 5c: Mix 2 ranges of intermixed complementary colour (one range to include 1 row tints)
- Assessment 5d: Paint the illustration in one range of intermixed complementary colours
- Assessment 6: 3D Lighting and Spatial Design
- Assessment 7a: Industry Reference File: Resource Design Specialisations
- Assessment 7b: WH&S and Copyright
- Assessment 8a: Tertiary Colour: Research motifs from 3 historical design styles
- Assessment 8b: Tertiary Colour: Creative 3 ranges of tertiary colour chips
- Assessment 8c: Tertiary Colour: Paint a cushion design ased on an historical style in range tertiary colour
- Assessment 9: Colour Inversion: Apply colour inversion to a design
- Assessment 10: Papier D’Amour Christmas Card
- Assessment 11: Designer Rugs
- Assessment 12: Colour Style Book
There are no entry requirements for the CUV40715 Certificate IV in Design, just an open mind, love for design and the motivation to learn new skills in design
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
We cater for your needs and lifestyle with campuses located in Sydney and Melbourne.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- Designer Rugs
- Papier D’Amour
- Hardie Grant Publishers
- Eckersleys Art & craft
- The Heartful Travellers
- Rug Design: Develop and design a rug for leading rug brand Designer Rugs. The winning designs are produced for retail sale and the top 3 designs are featured in Inside Out Magazine.
- Christmas Card Design: Develop and design a card design for Papier D’Amour. The winning card design will go into production as part of Papier D’Amour card collection
- The Heartful Travellers: Through presentation of student board, Prue Royal; our founder will select a graduate to mentor and guide on their design journey
Study from just one day a week and choose from four intakes each year / Mornings + Evenings + Weekends class options to choose from.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
iscd General Manager,Lucy Sutherland
Is this course not quite right for you?
Short Courses & Workshops
We have a number of workshops and short courses that run throughout the year. Here are some courses and workshops that relate to this course.
Upskill your current qualifications
Already qualified in most of these course subjects? You might like to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning and expand your current skill set with one of our specialised diplomas.