What is the Certificate IV in Design?
Focusing on the foundation skills in design you will learn design techniques, colour application and the ability to create clever and inspiring designs by applying the creative process.
You will graduate with a comprehensive design portfolio and the essential knowledge to continue your studies in your chosen specialised area of design.
This nationally recognised qualification is our most popular course and your first step towards a specialised iscd Diploma.
We do offer promotions throughout the year. Click here to learn more about actual offers.
Why study Certificate IV in Design?
With this detailed and thorough foundation course in colour and design you’ll learn the elements and principles of design and their application in the contemporary design world. It is a hands-on and creative course.
At iscd, the Certificate IV in Design is the prerequisite course to our specialised Diploma courses:
- Styling Diploma
- Surface Design Diploma
- Colour Design Diploma
Throughout your Certificate program you will work on real-world briefs from our design industry partners, including Designer Rugs who have partnered with us for over 15 years.
Our fundamentals course gives you extensive understanding of the creative process, elements and principles, & colour development. It is the first step to then continue on to our Industry Specialised Diplomas.
Our Certificate IV in Design is the prerequisite course to iscd’s specialised Diplomas.
You’ll graduate with a holistic understanding of the design industry and a skill set that can be applied to all areas of design.
What you’ll learn:
- How to develop colour palettes and apply colour principles
- How to develop your illustration/drawing techniques to represent concepts across all design disciplines
- How to interpret and respond to industry design briefs
- How to professionally present a major project in spatial and product design
As this is only your first starting point to your specialised career goal, the career prospects at this early stage would be support roles & internships as a designer junior or assistant in following areas:
- Surface Design
- Colour Design/Illustrator
You can keep up to date with current job that are available now in the design industry on our job board
- Learn the process to generate conceptual ideas
- An extensive knowledge of colour theory and application
- Sound understanding of the elements and principles of design and composition techniques.
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- Examine 2 and 3 dimensional design through applying colour, hand drawing techniques and creating a prototype
- Identify design movements and historical influences and apply design industry knowledge to various design disciplines and products
- Know how to document design development and produce drawings by hand to represent and communicate concepts
- How to research and apply techniques for graphic design and typography
- How to professionally present a project in spatial design and product design
- Know how to interpret and respond to a commercial brief
- Build presentation and communication skills to present design ideas
- Introduction to the elements and principles of design
- Abstract and semi abstract design
- Conceptualisation and mind Mapping. Plus Elements and principles of design
- Drawing Techniques
- 3D lighting design
- Colour effects, colour psychology and symbolism
- Developing monochromatic colour schemes
- Introduction to graphic design & typography
- Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- Develop and extend critical + creative thinking skills
- Explore the use of colour – introduction to colour and its application
- Generate design solutions
- Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- Realise a creative project
- Interpret and respond to a design brief – cushion design
- Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- Generate design solutions
- Integrate colour theory and design processes
- Source and apply design industry knowledge
- Develop and extend design skills and practice
- Use typography techniques
- Research and apply graphic design techniques
- Research and apply techniques in product design
- Colour Wheel Tool
- Conceptualisation and Mind Mapping
- Abstract and Semi-Abstract Design: Applying Related & Contrasting Colour Schemes
- Create a contemporary illustration
- 3D Lighting and Spatial Design
- Paint a cushion design ased on an historical style in range tertiary colour
- Colour Inversion: Apply colour inversion to a design
- Christmas Card
- Colour Style Book
There are no entry requirements for the CUA40715 Certificate IV in Design, just an open mind, love for design and the motivation to learn new skills in design.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
We cater for your needs and lifestyle with campuses located in Sydney and Melbourne.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- Eckersleys Art & craft
- Little Paper Lane
- Rug Design: Develop and design a rug for leading rug brand Designer Rugs. The winning designs are produced for retail sale and the top 3 designs are featured in Inside Out Magazine.
- Christmas Card Design: Develop and design a card design for Papier D’Amour. The winning card design will go into production as part of Papier D’Amour card collection
- The Heartful Travellers: Through presentation of student board, Prue Royal; our founder will select a graduate to mentor and guide on their design journey
Study from just one day a week and choose from four intakes each year. February / May / July / October
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
WENDY GREENHALF,General Manager iscd
Is this course not quite right for you?
Short Courses & Workshops
We have a number of workshops and short courses that run throughout the year. Here are some courses and workshops that relate to this course.
Upskill your current qualifications
Already qualified in most of these course subjects? You might like to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning and expand your current skill set with one of our specialised diplomas.