What is the Styling Diploma?
The Styling Diploma focuses on building the skill set needed to become an expert stylist. The course teaches you the ins-and-outs of the design industry ensuring you have the practical skills to work as a successful stylist. Taught by industry professionals who are there to guide you with real-life industry briefs and insider tips, you will be ready to practise as a stylist in many areas.
Explore how to create concepts, communicate and present your ideas and execute well-resolved styling solutions for your clients. You will learn how to confidently style a retail store window, sets for magazine photo shoots, homes for sale and various events.
After completing the StylingDiploma, graduates go on to successful design careers in:
- Magazine Styling
- Real Estate Styling
- Residential Styling
- Event Styling
- Visual Merchandising
- Retail/Product Styling
You can keep up to date with current job that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
“iscd has been the foundation of many facets of my career. From small beginnings many years ago, the iscd education team mentored many decisions to craft my future in the design industry.” Dani Butchart
The Styling Diploma is just one of iscd’s industry driven and recognised diplomas. You’ll gain the skills and knowledge required to work as a stylist for magazines, events and property styling or start your own decorating business.
What you’ll learn
- How to generate conceptual ideas and translate them into interior styling solutions.
- How to Understand client analysis and expectations for projects including documentation, fees, contracts and project co-ordination
- Soft furnishings, furniture and furniture arrangement including window treatments, fabrics, upholstery, accessories, and artworks
- Sourcing, researching and referencing of industry contacts and suppliers
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- Identify design movements and historical influences, applying design industry knowledge
- Start and complete design processes
- Explore colour theory in detail to understand colour application
- Gain a sound understanding of the elements and principles of design and the various composition techniques
- Generate conceptual ideas and translate them into styling solutions
- Understand client analysis and expectations for projects including documentation, fees, contracts and project coordination
- Researching and referencing of industry contacts and suppliers
- Furniture arrangement including window treatments, fabrics, upholstery, accessories and artworks
- Designing to a brief
- Processes and design methods
- Spatial planning
- Soft furnishings
- Styles and trends
- Visual merchandising
- Styling for photography
- Residential interior styling
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs. Some examples include:
- Colour wheel tool and grey scale
- Abstract and semi-abstract design, linear design techniques and applying colour
- Hand Rendering
- Design history research
- Photographic styling
- Property styling
- Visual merchandising
- Magazine styling
- Creative identity
- Presentation techniques
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
We cater for your needs and lifestyle with campuses located in Sydney and Melbourne.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
Study from just one day a week on campus or online to suit your lifestyle.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals.
“Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
WENDY GREENHALF,General Manager iscd