What is the Interior Design and Decoration Diploma?
The nationally accredited MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is the course if you are wanting to work as a residential and commercial interior designer. iscd’s Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is recognised by the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) as a quality Interior Design course.
The diploma will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work as an Interior Designer for a firm or establish your own design business. Our Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration ensures you graduate with computer skills in Photoshop, InDesign and CAD along with hand drafting technical skills which you will combine with your creative concepts and design understanding to develop & create your clients their ideal space. Throughout your diploma program you will have industry excursions and incursions to gain opportunities to network for when you graduate the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration. We are also here to help with the opportunities on our job board.
Become an Interior Designer by completing the 29 Units of Competencies that make up the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration. At iscd, the Diploma is completed over 1 year full time 16 + hours a week or 2 years part time, studying on campus with 8+ hours plus per weekday or 8+ hours on Saturdays available for you to choose from.
*The Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is delivered on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) ABN 35 094 133 641; RTO 90511; CRICOS 02155J
To read more on AIT click here.
You can choose to make an upfront payment for your course or gap fee taken at time of enrolment.
You can choose to pay your course fees or gap payments via instalment plans. All instalment plans are managed by a third party. All thirds party details can be found on the enrolment form terms and conditions. AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511
Study in Sydney or Melbourne, or Online.
Finish your interiors diploma program by gaining practical and technical skills to thrive as an accredited Interior Designer. What you’ll learn:
- Technical skills in Photoshop, InDesign and AutoCAD to present design solutions
- To understand the hard construction and architectural materials and techniques used in the built-environment,
- To execute commercial interior design briefs and produce a complete design package for your portfolio
- To identify design and architectural historical influences and how they shape contemporary and sustainable design
- How to source, research and reference industry contacts and suppliers
After the completion of the Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration, many graduates secure industry positions or establish their own freelance business in Interior Design. Residential Interior Designer Commercial Interior Designer Soft Furnishing Consultant (working for the likes of a fabric company) Visual Merchandiser Interior Decorator Interior Stylist You can keep up to date with current jobs that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts to create decorating solutions for interior spaces including materials and finishes, furniture layouts and materials boards for client presentations
- An understanding of client analysis and expectations for design projects including project coordination, fees and scheduling
- An extensive knowledge of colour theory and its application to design including interior scheming, finishes and the effects of lighting in interiors
- In-depth knowledge of soft furnishings, furniture and spatial design
- The ability to confidently source and style furniture and accessories in response to a client brief
- The ability to produce architectural drawings including perspective drawings, drafting and rendering and AutoCAD to communicate concepts
- Examine two and three-dimensional spatial planning
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built environments
- Design process for 2D and 3D forms
- Colour theory and application to design
- Extended research of colour, finishes and the effects of lighting
- Conceptualisation and the phases of the design process
- Soft Furnishings and their application in an interior space including suppliers, trades and specifications.
- Styling, providing interior styling services and researching and recommending furniture and accessories.
- Presentation of sample boards and specifications for clients
- Developing your design identity and setting up your business
- Drawing and documentation of design concepts and ideas.
- Illustration techniques and applications for any type of illustrative work relevant to a design brief using Photoshop and inDesign
- Technical skills required to operate a range of computer aided drawings (CAD)
- Architectural styles and movements + their influence in interior design and decoration projects
- Sustainability in design and reducing the negative environmental impacts of work practice.
- Understand the hard materials used in interior design and decoration
- Design solutions for small commercial interior design projects
- BSBDES302 – Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- BSBDES401 – Generate design solutions
- CUAILL401 – Develop and refine illustrative work
- BSBDES301 – Explore the use of colour
- CUAACD401 – Integrate colour theory and design processes
- BSBDES303 – Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- BSBDES402 – Collaborate in a creative process
- BSBDES305 – Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- MSMENV272 – Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
DRAWING AND RENDERING
- CUAACD303 – Produce technical drawings
- CUAACD301 – Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- MSFID4001 – Research, analyse and apply colour for interior spaces
- MSFID5009 – Research and recommend colour and applied finishes
- MSFID4003 – Prepare a materials board for client presentation
- MSFID4005 – Research and recommend soft furnishings for interiors
DESIGN INDUSTRY PRACTICE
- MSFID4011- Determine work, health safety (WHS) implications or interior effects
- BSBDES304 – Source and apply design industry knowledge
- MSFID4004 – Research and recommend furniture accessories
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS 1
- MSFID4002 – Decorate residential interiors
- CUAILL501 – Develop professional illustrations
- CUAACD302 – Produce computer-aided drawings
- MSFID5015 – Decorate interiors for restoration projects
HARD MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
- MSFID5004 – Specify structural elements, systems and services for interior spaces
- MSFID5003 – Evaluate site for interior design brief
- MSFID5013 – Design for small to medium scale commercial or institutional interiors
- BSBDES502 – Establish, Negotiate and refine a design brief
RESIDENTIAL INTERIORS 2
- MSFID5001 – Design residential interiors
- MSFID5005 – Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- MSFID5010 – Provide an interior styling service
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include a major residential design project:
- Design and decorate an entry space
- Understand and present design movements
- Create a colour scheme for a boutique hotel
- Create a soft furnishings scheme considering floor, wall and window treatments
- Develop your designer identity and business paperwork
- Decorate a residential space
- Learn how to create a drawing package with AutoCAD
- Learn Photoshop skills to professionally render drawings in a digital format
The MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration requires a High School Certificate or Vocational Certificate IV or higher delivered in English, an open mind and the motivation to learn new skills to take the first step of your career in interior design and decoration.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
Study at home with our online program or on campus and choose from two intakes each year.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
WENDY GREENHALF,General Manager iscd