What is the Interior Design and Decoration Diploma?
The nationally accredited MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is the course if you are wanting to work as a residential and commercial interior designer. iscd’s Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is recognised by the Design Institute of Australia (DIA) as a quality Interior Design course.
The diploma will provide you with the skills and knowledge to work as an Interior Designer for a firm or establish your own design business.
Our Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration ensures you graduate with computer skills in Photoshop, inDesign and CAD along with hand drafting technical skills which you will combine with your creative concepts and design understanding to develop & create your clients their ideal space.
Throughout your diploma program you will have internship opportunities and when you graduate the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration, we are here to help with the opportunities on our job board.
Become an Interior Designer by completing the 29 Units of Competencies that make up the MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration.
At iscd, the part-time certificate is completed over 2 years, studying on campus just 8 hours per week with mid-week, day and evening study options or just one day on Saturdays available for you to choose from.
* The MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is being delivered by iscd on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) as part of the RedHill Education Group
AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511 | iscd RTO: 91439
VET Student Loan Information
Current VET FEE-HELP students will continue on their current loan. We will be in touch should you need to do anything. Please call Student Services on 02 8355 3838 should you have any questions.
iscd on behalf of Academy of Information Technology (AIT) offer VET Student Loans to domestic students who wish to study MSF50213, Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration. VET Student Loan are provided by the Australian Government to assist eligible students in the payment of part of their tuition fees. The full course fee is $15,000. The VET Student Loan amount is up to $10,000 and the gap paid by the student to iscd is $5,000 (paid in instalments over the duration of your study).
VET student loans will not be approved for students who do not meet eligibility requirements and a VET student loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be a debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid.
To read more about Vet Student Loan conditions and details click here.
For more information about our Terms & Conditions and census dates, please click here.
The MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration is being delivered by iscd on behalf of the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) as part of the RedHill Education Group.
AIT CRICOS Provider Code: 02155J | AIT RTO: 90511 | iscd RTO: 91439
Study in Sydney or Melbourne, or Online.
Finish your interiors diploma program by gaining practical and technical skills to thrive as an accredited Interior Designer.
What you’ll learn:
- Technical skills in Photoshop, InDesign and AutoCAD to present design solutions
- To understand the hard construction and architectural materials and techniques used in the built-environment,
- To execute commercial interior design briefs and produce a complete design package for your portfolio
- To identify design and architectural historical influences and how they shape contemporary and sustainable design
- How to source, research and reference industry contacts and suppliers
After the completion of the Diploma of Interior Design + Decoration, many graduates secure industry positions or establish their own freelance business in Interior Design.
Residential Interior Designer
Commercial Interior Designer
Soft Furnishing Consultant (working for the likes of a fabric company)
You can keep up to date with current jobs that are available now in the design industry on our job board.
- An extensive knowledge of colour theory and its application to design including interior scheming, finishes and the effects of lighting in interiors
- Sound understanding of the Elements and Principles of Design and composition techniques.
- Learn the processes to generate conceptual ideas
- An understanding of client analysis and expectations for design projects including project co-ordination, fees, scheduling, presentation and concept generation
- In depth knowledge of soft furnishings, furniture and spatial design
- The ability to confidently source and style furniture and accessories in response to a client brief
- Examine two and three-dimensional spatial planning
- The ability to produce architectural drawings including perspective drawings to communicate concepts both by hand and in AutoCAD
- The ability to generate ideas and concepts to create decorating solutions for interior spaces including material and finishes selections, furniture layouts and materials boards for client presentations.
- Understand the hard materials and techniques used in the construction of built-environments
- Sound understanding of Architectural history and its application today
- Produce complete drawing packages with drafting and rendering skills necessary to practice as an Interior Designer or Decorator confidently via Photoshop, Indesign and AutoCAD
- Design process for 2D and 3D forms
- Colour theory and application to design
- Extended research of colour, finishes and the effects of lighting
- Conceptualisation and the phases of the design process
- Soft Furnishings and their application in an interior space including suppliers, trades and specifications.
- Styling, providing interior styling services and researching and recommending furniture and accessories.
- Presentation of sample boards and specifications for clients
- Developing your design identity and setting up your business
- Drawing and documentation of design concepts and ideas.
- Illustration techniques and applications for any type of illustrative work relevant to a design brief using Photoshop and inDesign
- Technical skills required to operate a range of computer aided drawings (CAD)
- Architectural styles and movements + their influence in interior design and decoration projects
- Sustainability in design and reducing the negative environmental impacts of work practice.
- Understand the hard materials used in interior design and decoration
- Design solutions for small commercial interior design projects
- Design Processes
Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
Develop and extend critical + creative thinking skills
- Colour Foundation
Explore the use of colour
- Design Methods
Generate design solutions
Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- Design History
Source and apply information on the history and theory of design
- Drawing + Rendering
Produce technical drawings
Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- Applied Colour
Research, analyse and apply colour for interior spaces
Research and recommend colour and applied finishes
- Soft Furnishings
Research and recommend soft furnishings for interiors
Prepare a materials board for client presentation
- Design Industry Practice
Determine work, health and safety (WHS) implications of interior effects
Source and apply design industry knowledge
Provide interior styling service
Research and recommend furniture accessories
Decorate residential interiors
Produce perspective drawings, plans and elevations
- Visual Communications
Develop and extend design skills and practice
Develop and refine illustrative work
Produce computer-aided drawings
- Architectural History
Research architectural styles and movements
Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- Hard Materials and Construction
Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
- Commercial Interiors
Evaluate site for interior design brief
Design for small to medium scale commercial or institutional interiors
- Residential Interiors 2
Develop a decoration proposal for a complex site
Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
Assessments are made up of a series of research and practical briefs that include a major residential design project:
- Design and decorate an entry space
- Understand and present design movements
- Create a colour scheme for a boutique hotel
- Create a soft furnishings scheme considering floor, wall and window treatments
- Develop your designer identity and business paperwork
- Decorate a residential space
- Learn how to create a drawing package with AutoCAD
- Learn Photoshop skills to professionally render drawings in a digital format
The MSF50213 Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration only requires year 12 high school certificate and just an open mind and the motivation to learn new skills to take the first step of your career in interior design and decoration.
With over 30 years of design industry experience and a forward-thinking focus and creative and supportive environment.
Work with our industry partners on design briefs and graduate with real-world experience.
This course includes industry briefs and awards to provide you with strong foundations of working within the design industry.
- SCentre (Westfield)
- Temple & Webster
- Belle Magazine
- Sydney Living Museum
- Living Edge
- Internship with SCentre (Westfield) commercial design team
- Internship with Temple & Webster styling team
- Internship with Belle Magazine
Study at home with our online program or on campus and choose from two intakes each year / Weekdays or Weekend class options to choose from.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Contact us on 02 8355 3838 or 03 8372 0000 to chat with a specialist course advisor about your study options, or let us know a little bit about you and we can call you back.
The school’s strong industry connections and flexible study options are integral to helping students achieve their goals. “Whether students attend our North Sydney or Melbourne CBD campus or study online, everyone receives the support they need to realise their potential.”
WENDY GREENHALF,General Manager iscd
Is this course not quite right for you?
Short Courses & Workshops
We have a number of workshops and short courses that run throughout the year. Here are some courses and workshops that relate to this course.
Upskill your current qualifications
Already qualified in most of these course subjects? You might like to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning and expand your current skill set with one of our specialised diplomas.